A to Z of MS
Click on the relevant link for more information on a topic.
A to Z of MS Local Health Boards
Local Health Boards (LHBs) are organisations within the health service in Wales that have been set up to develop and provide health services based on the needs of the local community. They act as the link between the Welsh Health Minister and the local NHS.
As of 1 October 2009 there are seven health boards covering all of Wales along with three national NHS Trusts that cover the ambulance service, public health and specialist services.
Local Health Boards
- Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University LHB - covers Swansea, Neath, Port Talbot and Bridgend
- Aneurin Bevan LHB - covers Gwent
- Betsi Cadwaladr University LHB - covers north Wales
- Cardiff and Vale University LHB - covers Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan
- Cwm Taff LHB - covers Rhondda Cynon Taff and Merthyr Tydfil
- Hywel Dda LHB - covers Ceredigion, Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire
- Powys Teaching LHB - covers Powys
The Local Health Boards are broadly equivalent to the Strategic Health Authorities (SHAs - now abolished under the Health and Social Care Act) in England, Health Boards in Scotland and the Health and Social Care Board in Northern Ireland.