The Gift Aid scheme enables charities to reclaim the basic rate tax from HM Revenue & Customs on personal donations from UK taxpayers, currently adding 25% more at no extra cost to the donor. Even though that may only seem like a small amount, you will be surprised how it all adds up.
Here are a few examples of how Gift Aid can increase your donations:
- a £5 donation = £6.25 with Gift Aid
- a £25 donation = £31.25 with Gift Aid
- a £100 donation = £125 with Gift Aid
There's no extra cost to you - all you have to do is fill in a simple Gift Aid declaration form (pdf 94KB). This means that you confirm that you are a UK tax payer and that you are happy for us to reclaim the tax. All personal donations qualify - large or small, regular or one-off, and whatever the method of payment.
And there can be advantages for you too...
- If you pay higher rate tax, you can claim tax back back on all gross Gift Aid donations made each tax year.
- If you are 65 or older, your gross Gift Aid donations are deducted from your taxable income, this may increase your age related allowances.
- You can include Gift Aid donations on your Tax Credit application; because the donations reduce your taxable income you may be awarded more tax credits.
- To make a Gift Aid Declaration, just print out and complete the Gift Aid declaration form (pdf 94KB) and return it to us at: MS Trust, Spirella Building, Bridge Road, Letchworth Garden City, Herts, SG6 4ET. And you only have to do this once, as your instruction to us will apply to any future donations.
If you have any questions about Gift Aid or would like to discuss the best way of collecting Gift Aid declarations for a fundraising event or sponsored challenge, please call our fundraising team on 01462 476707 or email email@example.com
Find out more about Gift Aid on the HMRC website.