All about Gift Aid
Increase your donation without spending a penny extra!
The Gift Aid scheme enables charities to reclaim the basic rate tax from HM Revenue & Customs on donations from UK taxpayers, currently adding 25% more at no extra cost to the donor.
Gift Aid can make a big difference to the value of donations to the MS Trust, for every £1 you give to the MS Trust, we can now reclaim 25p from HMRC. Even though that may only seem like a small amount, you will be surprised how it all adds up.
Here are a few examples of how Gift Aid can increase your donations:
- a £5 donation = £6.25 with Gift Aid
- a £15 donation = £18.75 with Gift Aid
- a £25 donation = £31.25 with Gift Aid
There's no extra cost to you - all you have to do is fill in a simple Gift Aid Declaration. This means that you confirm that you are a UK tax payer and that you are happy for us to reclaim the tax. All donations qualify - large or small, regular or one-off, and whatever the method of payment.
And there can be advantages for you too...
- If you pay higher rate tax, you can claim tax back back on all gross Gift Aid donations made each tax year.
- If you are 65 or older, your gross Gift Aid donations are deducted from your taxable income, this may increase your age related allowances.
- You can include Gift Aid donations on your Tax Credit application; because the donations reduce your taxable income you may be awarded more tax credits.
- To make a Gift Aid Declaration, just print out and complete the Gift Aid declaration form and return it to us at: MS Trust, Spirella Building, Bridge Road, Letchworth Garden City, Herts, SG6 4ET. And you only have to do this once, as your instruction to us will apply to any future donations.