Print Friendly and PDF

Driving and using public transport are important parts of life for many people.  If you drive, you need to let the vehicle licencing agency know that you have been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.  If MS affects your ability to drive or to use public transport, there is help available.


If you have a driving licence, you must tell the licensing agency that you have been diagnosed with MS.  You should also inform the licensing agency if the impact of your MS gets worse.

In England, Scotland or Wales you need to tell the DVLA (Drivers and Vehicle Licensing Agency).  If you live in Northern Ireland you need to inform the DVA (Driver and Vehicle Agency). They will send a questionnaire to assess any impact of MS on your driving performance, and may need to contact your doctor about your condition. If there is no medical reason to prevent driving, you will be allowed to keep your licence.  Quite often the licence will need to be renewed every three years.

If you need adaptations to the controls of your car, the law requires this to be specified on your licence.

Exemption from vehicle tax

If you receive the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or the enhanced rate mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) you can apply for free vehicle tax.  If you get the standard rate mobility component of PIP you can apply for a 50% reduction in vehicle tax.

More on exemption from vehicle tax on the website

Blue Badge parking scheme

The Blue Badge scheme provides parking benefits for people with a disability who travel either as a driver or a passenger.  The scheme is administered by local councils.

More on the Blue Badge scheme on the website

Adapted vehicles

Forum of Mobility Centres

A network of independent organisations who offer information, advice and assessment to individuals who have a medical condition that which may affect the ability to drive or use a motor vehicle. The centres are listed in the map of MS services.


A national UK charity that helps people in receipt of the higher rate Mobility Component of DLA (Disability Living Allowance) or PIP (Personal Independence Payment) to lease an adapted vehicle.

Motoring with multiple sclerosis

Information on choosing, adapting and using a car from Rica, a charity providing consumer research and information for people with a disability.

Public transport for people with a disability

Information on travelling by train, plane, buses and coaches and taxis.

Last updated: 10 September 2015
This page will be reviewed within three years