Print Friendly and PDF

There are several benefits which may be available for people with a disability or care needs due to their MS or for people caring for someone with MS. These include:

Personal Independence Payments (PIP)

If you are aged under 65, you can apply for Personal Independence Payments (PIP) to help with some of the extra costs caused by living with a long-term condition.  Entitlement to PIP is based on an assessment of how your condition affects you. It is not means tested, which means you can receive the payments even if you have a job.PIP replaced Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for new claimants from June 2013. People currently receiving DLA who were aged under 65 on 8 April 2013 will be moved to PIP over the next few years.

Attendance Allowance

If you are aged 65 or over you can apply for Attendance Allowance to help with some of the extra costs of your condition. Entitlement is based on an assessment of how your condition affects you.  Attendance Allowance is not means tested.

If you were already getting Disability Living Allowance (DLA) when you turned 65, you will continue to receive that benefit and not be transferred to Attendance Allowance.

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

If you are unable to work due to ill health or disability, you can apply for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA). You will be asked to attend a Work Capability Assessment to assess the impact of your MS on your ability to work.  Based on this you will allocated to one of two groups:

Work-related activity group - if you are assessed as being capable of work at some time in the future you will need to have regular interviews with an advisor to help you build up your skills and help you find a job

Support group - if you are assessed as having no current prospect of being able to undertake work you will not need to go to interviews, though you can ask to see an advisor.

Carer's Allowance

If you care for someone for more than 35 hours a week, you may be able to claim Carer's Allowance.

Links go to more information about each benefit on the website.

Sources of further information

There are a number of organisations and resources that can help you find what benefits you can claim, can assist with filling in forms and support you if need to appeal against decisions.

Advice Now

An independent, not-for-profit website that has information across a range of subjects, including claiming benefits.

Benefits and Work

Site offering information and guides to understanding and claiming benefits, including tips for filling in application forms effectively.

Citizens Advice

Offers free, confidential, impartial and independent advice, including a section on identifying and claiming benefits

Disability Rights UK

Information on claiming benefits and changes to the welfare system from a charity that campaigns for the rights of people with a disability.

Money Advice Service

A free and impartial advice service that helps people navigate the benefit system and manage their money.

MS Society

Some branches have a welfare officer or local support officer who can help people with MS claim the benefits to which they are entitled.


The Turn2Us website includes a range of information about benefits and how to claim. It also has a online benefits calculator and a directory of providers of advice on benefits and other issues

Last updated: 10 July 2015
This page will be reviewed within three years